Tuesday, January 26, 2010

#2A Three Significant People (freewrite, 10 minutes)

The most influential person in my life, not just with my career goals, would be Mr. Bange, a teacher at Broadway High School in Broadway, Virginia.  I have known his son for all of my life, and met Mr. Bange at a fairly young age.  Ever since meeting him I admired the way he handled life, and just the general vibe that I received from him each time I was around him.  When moving into high school I had the chance to take a class with him, just basic Earth Science, but that class was one of the best classes that I have ever had the chance to take.  Not only did I learn the material, but I learn so much more from the genius mentality of Mr. Bange.  Each day you walked into the class you would see the room light up with his enormous smile, and his attitude just made you completely content and happy to be in the class.  From this class I learned that I should be more open-minded about life, and not to worry about those small things which other people mind so much.  I attribute my leaving the area to Mr. Bange as I felt an urge to broaden my horizons in order to try and fulfill my life goals and make the most out of my time here on earth.

Mrs. Morris, also a high school teacher, really broke me into the Computer Science category with her seemingly simply class on HTML and C++.  After this class I was completely set on the major I wanted in college, and without this class I probably would have been wandering around for many semesters just trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.  Not only did she set me on the correct career path, but she also pushed me to get the most out of the class.  In this case it consisted of attaining the basic Microsoft Office 2003 master certification, but that was better than nothing at that age.  If nothing else I feel that this certification is something to thank her for, because I certainly wouldn't have been able to do it on my own.

Dr. Heishman is currently a Computer Science professor at George Mason University.  He is the complete teacher in my mind, no one can be more ideal than him.  He has such a calm, relaxing attitude that made his classes very easy going which made in turn made the class much easier.  I remember him having only a few gestures, but with his level of teacher I would expect that he would just want to get the information across to the students without worrying about gestures which add no support to powerpoint presentations.  One environment that I vividly remember him in is the path both outside of the Fenwick Library.  It seemed that almost daily I would run into him perched calmly and quiety on one of those benches enjoying a cigarette.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment